Skip to main content

Featured

Smile 2 is Taking on a Genius Point of View Through a Pop Star

  Credit to Parade I finally watched the Smile 2 trailer in theaters when I went to go watch A Quiet Place: Day One (it was surprisingly a great film).  I was so surprised when the main character was revealed.  I was not expecting the film to focus on a pop star.  Finally, something original and new in the horror genre! I always wondered how it would be like if someone famous were to experience a horrible curse. The smile curse concept coming after a pop star through the many disguises of her fans is honestly terrifying.  Her fans are going to take on a sinister edge, meaning that nowhere is truly safe for this pop star.  The trailer showed enough for me to become totally hyped up for the film, I'm so excited to watch Smile 2 in theaters on October 18th. I have yet to watch the first film, but I'm glad to see that we are getting a brand-new perspective in the sequel! Thank you for reading!  Emy Quinn

I'm Tired of Horror Movies Showing 'Too Much' in Their Movie Trailers

 


I would like to talk about something that has really been bothering me when it comes to recent horror movie trailers that have been released this year. Why do studios or movie companies feel the need to show the entire movie in the trailer? It gets me so mad that they keep spoiling so much for their audiences before the film is even released. 

When I was in college, I did learn a little about advertising in some of my college courses. Advertising a product or a piece of media should be done right, it's meant to capture the attention of their future customers. That is how it should be when it comes to revealing the trailer to a film. With horror movies, there should be an air of mystery. Like for example, Night Swim that was released this year. 

Even though this movie was terrible, I have to give the trailer some credit. It came off very mysterious, and it caught my attention. That is how a trailer should be done for a horror movie! So, imagine my major disappointment when I saw the trailer to Abigail.

Abigail already looked so promising; the premise of a little girl being held hostage by a couple of people, all because they are hoping to gain wealth. Then Abigail apologizes from out of nowhere that she feels bad for what is about to happen to the group. Everything in the house is completely locked down out of nowhere, causing the group to panic. If the trailer had ended right there, that would have been amazing. It is enough for the audience to know that this movie looks like a great horror film! 

Of course, that is only what I wish happened, because the trailer proceeded to go much longer and show that the little girl is a blood thirsty vampire that is most likely going to murder the majority of the group. Why ruin that for us? Horror fans would have already been in love with the concept of the group being trapped in a mansion with no way out! It would have left the audience really anticipating the film, wondering just what the hell the kid was trying to warn the group about. 

Bummer that we were robbed of that reveal. 


Thanks for reading! 
Emy Quinn

Comments

Popular Posts