Skip to main content

Featured

Smile 2 is Taking on a Genius Point of View Through a Pop Star

  Credit to Parade I finally watched the Smile 2 trailer in theaters when I went to go watch A Quiet Place: Day One (it was surprisingly a great film).  I was so surprised when the main character was revealed.  I was not expecting the film to focus on a pop star.  Finally, something original and new in the horror genre! I always wondered how it would be like if someone famous were to experience a horrible curse. The smile curse concept coming after a pop star through the many disguises of her fans is honestly terrifying.  Her fans are going to take on a sinister edge, meaning that nowhere is truly safe for this pop star.  The trailer showed enough for me to become totally hyped up for the film, I'm so excited to watch Smile 2 in theaters on October 18th. I have yet to watch the first film, but I'm glad to see that we are getting a brand-new perspective in the sequel! Thank you for reading!  Emy Quinn

Fresh: A Forbidden Horror Love Story

 



Credit to Google

The movie Fresh isn’t exactly considered a forbidden love story. It’s a story of how a young woman fell for the wrong man, finding herself trapped in his dark world. This film is not what you expect, it comes off like a rom — com Hallmark movie with subtle hints of creepiness, until it hits the 30-minute mark; the movie taking a dark sudden shift. 

When I first saw the cover of the film, I assumed it was going to be about something to do with cannibalism. I did get that part right, but I wasn’t expecting Noa, the main protagonist to be caught in a kidnapping situation with the guy she thought was the man of her dreams: Steve. 

In probably one of the most original twists I have seen in a long time in a horror film, Steve explains to Noa that she was brought to his torture dungeon for one purpose; to sell her flesh to creepy men who desire to consume women.

I expected Noa to fall head over heels in love with Steve, giving in to his cannibalistic tendencies to be with him. Instead, the story kept on proving me wrong until the end of the film, due to how well Noa was written as a female protagonist. 

Noa’s character is a very strong female character; she stands up for herself and learns how to play with Steve’s heartstrings to escape from his clutches.

What I love about this film is that it is purposely filmed like a love story; Noa is so convincing with showing her love for her kidnapper in some parts of the film, I sometimes forgot the movie I was watching. Mimi Cave, the director of Fresh did an excellent job with making this film. I think the main reason why I kept forgetting Noa was tricking her captor; was due to the strong chemistry between the two main cast members who played Noa and Steve.

Credit to Google

Noa is played by Daisy Edgar Jones, and Steve’s actor is the Marvel icon who plays Bucky: Sebastian Stan. The actors play off each other so well, they act like such a normal couple falling in love. Sebastian Stan is so eerie playing a serial killer; he is so nonchalant about what he does for a living, while Noa is literally having a panic attack when she first discovers Steve’s dark secret. 

What I just revealed about the film’s plot is just the tip of the iceberg, Mimi Cave’s screenplay just gets better and better as the film continues, and I do not want to spoil the rest of the plot for those who might want to watch this gem. 

I will mention that the soundtrack is another great factor to this film.

It is an 80s soundtrack, and the music is played in the most perfect scenes during the movie; one particular scene involves Steve dancing to an 80s song while cutting up human meat to sell.

(His enthusiasm during this sequence is hilarious, it would have been cute if it hadn’t been for his cheerful actions of cutting up some leg meat for his clients). 

It’s a scene that belongs in a rom — com love story, and that is what makes Mimi Cave’s movie so amazing. Every scene is special, and the actors definitely make this movie one of the best love stories I have seen on screen…even if this relationship is fake from the start, I adore this ‘love story’ to death. Fresh is on Hulu only. 

If you struggle with raw gore involving cannibalism, I suggest you sit this one out. Some parts can be very nauseating; viewer discretion is advised. 

Thank you for reading!

Emy Quinn


Comments

Popular Posts