Skip to main content

Featured

Smile 2 is Taking on a Genius Point of View Through a Pop Star

  Credit to Parade I finally watched the Smile 2 trailer in theaters when I went to go watch A Quiet Place: Day One (it was surprisingly a great film).  I was so surprised when the main character was revealed.  I was not expecting the film to focus on a pop star.  Finally, something original and new in the horror genre! I always wondered how it would be like if someone famous were to experience a horrible curse. The smile curse concept coming after a pop star through the many disguises of her fans is honestly terrifying.  Her fans are going to take on a sinister edge, meaning that nowhere is truly safe for this pop star.  The trailer showed enough for me to become totally hyped up for the film, I'm so excited to watch Smile 2 in theaters on October 18th. I have yet to watch the first film, but I'm glad to see that we are getting a brand-new perspective in the sequel! Thank you for reading!  Emy Quinn

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is the Darkest Horror Series for Children

 


I have read many book series when I was a young kid. I was a huge fan of a lot of horror series (obviously), but I felt that very few franchises were way too disturbing for kids. One particular horror series that messed with my head was Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

The book series was written by Alvin Schwartz, and the terrifying imagery was illustrated by Stephen Gammell. The first time I discovered these stories was when I was in 5th grade. 

I was in the horror section of the library, feeling both excited and scared I finally got to explore such a forbidden section. I was searching for a thrill, something that I missed back when I was first introduced to R.L. Stine's Goosebumps. What caught my attention was not surprisingly; the disturbing cover of book one to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I couldn't keep my eyes off the cover, I was literally hypnotized by how strange the book cover was. 

Once I began to flick through the book pages, I was impressed and scared at the same time. 

The same thrill I was searching for shot through my chest. 

I instantly knew this book series was going to ruin my mind, giving me a brand-new perspective on horror. 

After I was done reading the entire trilogy of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, I couldn't believe this series was made for kids like me. The stories were gory, raw, and littered with themes of death. The illustrations were the icing on the cake, making this series so much worse for children to read. The images are literal nightmare fuel, and I can't imagine how many kids were traumatized by those pictures. 

The illustrations resemble what I think it would feel like to find an actual dead body in real life. It's super absurd to even compare the images to something like that, but I felt it was the only comparison that actually makes sense! 


Thank you for reading!
Emy Quinn

Comments

Popular Posts