pinterest-site-verification=f146b84ea677a647403075b8d7061d53 The Silent Patient Novel is One of the Most Unique Storylines I Have Ever Read Skip to main content

Featured

The Ghost Girl

  My grandma lost her right eye when she was nine years old. I asked my mother constantly when I was young, curious about what happened to her.  My mother told me each time that she didn’t know herself, and told me to never ask her, because it was probably traumatic for her. Then my grandma surprised me by telling me the story. It wasn’t what I was expecting.  I assumed she had lost her eye during a horrible accident, but I was met with a supernatural story instead. She told me everything, pointing at the black eyepatch now covering her right eye.  “I saw a little girl when I decided to go for a walk on an abandoned trail. You know the one called Ghost Trail, the one by the river?” I nodded.  “I saw her there when I decided to run away from home, again. She was giggling, walking ahead of me. I grew curious, and I caught up to her. Then I saw her face.” She grew quiet, before continuing on with the story.  “She had no eyes. The top of her face was a blank slate. It was just skin. Then b

The Silent Patient Novel is One of the Most Unique Storylines I Have Ever Read

 


I know that The Silent Patient is not really considered a horror novel, but due to the events that enfold in this story, I think it deserves a spot in the horror genre!

The Silent Patient was written by Alex Michaelides. The story is about a young woman named Alicia Berenson, who murders her husband and remains silent for the rest of her life. She is admitted to a psychiatric facility called Broadmoor, because she was deemed to have a 'mad mind.'

A psychotherapist named Theo Faber is determined to treat her, due to his obsession with Alicia and her paintings. The story then takes a turn, focusing on Theo and Alicia's backgrounds, to give an understanding to the viewer that perhaps they are both damaged on the inside. Theo experienced a horrific childhood while Alicia dealt with struggles of her own in the past. 

Both storylines are interesting and exciting, I was so curious as to where this story was heading. The shock I felt when the twist emerged was a genius and unexpected move on the author's part!

(Spoilers for The Silent Patient).

Theo turned out to be the reason why Alicia's life was ruined. After discovering that Alicia's husband was cheating on her with his love interest, Theo goes mad and goes after the couple. This event drives Alicia mad, and once the opportunity is given to her, she murders her husband out of anger and betrayal!

The story did an excellent job revealing the twist, in a great unique way. While we were following Theo's past and trying to figure out how he was going to confront his love for cheating on him, it turned out he was telling his own story in the past, like Alicia. We believed that we were in the future, but in reality, both the past and present was interfering with Theo's narrative. 

Theo turned out to be an unreliable narrator, for he was the villain in disguise the whole time, and we as the reader were given a peek into his insane mind. 

Theo eventually gets his karma, after authorities discovered that Alicia kept a diary of Theo's guilt. 

The story ends with Theo accepting his fate, not seeming to give a damn that he was caught. 

The Silent Patient is a great story that deserves to be read by all horror fans. It's disturbing and dark, and it's awesome that we get to read from the villain's point of view. The Silent Patient is a huge stand out among a lot of suspense novels, due to the amazing storylines that were presented to the readers! 




Thank you for reading!
Emy Quinn

Comments