Skip to main content

Featured

‘Late Night with the Devil’ Delivers a Masterpiece Through an Original and Refreshing Take on the 70s in a Great Horror Concept

  Credit to  Late Night with the Devil (BYOB) Tickets, Multiple Dates | Eventbrite It has been a long time since I have seen a great horror film that left me terrified from beginning to end. I will admit, it has been years since I have felt this particular fear.  Finally, after three years, I have finally found another horror film that gave me the same terror I have truly missed.  Late Night with the Devil is the must see - horror film of this year.  It is a spectacular horror concept that delivers one of the best stories and scares I have seen in a very long time. The film is about a TV host in the 70s that is determined to become the number one late night show. The host and his crew decide to embark on a dangerous ride, by having actual evil present in their studio.  Playing with fire obviously leads to utter terror among the crew and audience, leaving the viewers completely mesmerized by what the film is going to do next. This film was such a refresher for me as a horror fan.  I wat

Why Evil Dead 2 is My Favorite Film in the Franchise

 

Credit to IU Blogs - Indiania University 

The Evil Dead franchise has been of the best horror series for many years. Every single film in this franchise has been a wild ride, giving horror fans a gore fest they will never forget. 

There is one Evil Dead film that has remained my favorite for a long time. 

Evil Dead 2 is in my opinion, the best film in the franchise. 

There are a variety of reasons why this film is my favorite, and I have deemed this film as one of the few I watch every October to celebrate Halloween. 

1. Evil Dead 2 Features Great Scares

Credit to The Loft Cinema 

Evil Dead 2 has so many moments that make this film stand out. One of them is the scare factor. The film has several great scary sequences, and there was one that caught me completely off guard. 

Ash is trying to calm himself down after enduring torture from the evil, and isn't doing the best after being forced to cut up his possessed girlfriend with a chainsaw. As Ash is facing a mirror, trying to calm himself down, his own reflection jumps out at him, grabbing him. 

His evil twin proceeds to tell him that nothing is fine, and begins to laugh demonically. Ash snaps out of it, and finds that he is actually choking himself as the laughter fades away. 

I loved this scene. Despite this film being a comedy, the scares are well done. The mirror scene was genius, I did not see that coming, and it makes me so mad that modern horror films don't do these kind of great scenes anymore. Sometimes simplicity is the most effective! 


2. The Comedy was a New Addition to the Evil Dead Franchise 


Credit to Lorelei By Starlight

I did not expect the sequel to take a comedic turn...but it really suits The Evil Dead

The first time I realized this movie was going to be a comedy, I wasn't sure how to feel about it. Then as the movie progressed, I thought the comedy really did fit in well with the scares, the story, and the gore. It really benefited the film, and it made all the sequences even more enjoyable to watch. 

Probably the best comedic scene involves that iconic scene when Ash finds the every object in the cabin is laughing at me. Ash loses his mind for a second, and decides to join the demons that are laughing at him. They all laugh together, and I thought it was freaking hilarious. It was executed so well, and Bruce Campbell did an excellent job playing a poor dude caught in such a horrible situation. 


3. Ash Was Forced to be the Hero

Credit to Entertainment Weekly

Ash's character never wanted to be the hero. He is not a fighter, he is a regular dude that was caught by the demons and their evil. Ash clearly makes it obvious that he doesn't want to interact with anything to do with this evil, but he doesn't have a choice. Ash is aware that he the only one who knows how to defeat them, and he tries his best to aid innocents who are stuck with him! 

The ending of Evil Dead 2 confirms that Ash never wanted this, when he gets sucked into another world. When he finds himself in medieval times, as the knights are cheering him on for defeating a demon; Ash screams in agony and frustration as the film ends. It's both hilarious and sad, poor Ash can't catch a break. 


4. Ash Becomes the Villain for a Brief Moment in the Film, Confirming That No One Has Plot Armor in the Franchise 


Credit to Bloody Disgusting

Another jump scare I did not see coming was when Ash suddenly got possessed by one of the demons, and attempted to kill the second main character. The film then cuts to her trying to survive, as the Ash Deadite is hunting her down. 

This sequence of the movie was so awesome. I did not see this coming, because you expect the main character to always be safe in a horror movie. Ash getting possessed clarified that no one is ever safe in the Evil Dead franchise, and this is another aspect that makes Evil Dead 2 a great watch!


Evil Dead 2 is my favorite film in the franchise, and it is one of the best cult classic horror films ever made!



Thank you for reading!
Emy Quinn



Comments

Popular Posts