pinterest-site-verification=f146b84ea677a647403075b8d7061d53 Why Do Horror Franchises Always Choose the Comedy Route? Skip to main content

Featured

I'm Really Excited for Joseph Quinn as Emperor Geta in Gladiator 2

  I know this really isn't horror related, but I have wanted to bring this topic up for a long time.  After watching Joseph Quinn perform in Stranger Things as Eddie, I instantly knew that this actor was going to become huge. So far, he has already made a name for himself in the horror genre, appearing in A Quiet Place: Day One, Stranger Things , and another film that will be directed by the author who wrote American Psycho! I'm so happy to see that Quinn is now going to play a villain in Gladiator 2. I have a gut feeling he is going to deliver one of the best villain performances so far this year. I can't wait to write about Emperor Geta later on, once we get more of a glimpse into his character. Something tells me that this crazy villain is going to be delightfully insane, almost as crazy as some of my favorite horror villains! A new trailer is going to be released on September 23rd, I can't wait to see more of his character! In my opinion, I thought the music choice

Why Do Horror Franchises Always Choose the Comedy Route?

 

Credit to Grueling Terror: The 5 Scariest Moments in the ‘Evil Dead’ Film Franchise — Bloody Disgusting (bloody-disgusting.com)

While I do love all the horror movies that have surfaced in the 70s and have continued making an impact for the next years to come, there is a question that has always been nagging me at the back of my mind.

Why do the majority of old school horror franchises resort to comedy?

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, the decision to go down the horror/comedy path has actually worked well for a lot of franchises!

The Evil Dead franchise is one of the best examples. The storyline and its characters have provided fans with a lot of hilarious quotes, and characters that fans will never forget.

However, I think there’s a bigger reason behind why horror franchises choose a brand-new direction.

Switching to horror/comedy was a huge trend with all the old school horror franchises.

Credit to The Signal Watch: Hallo-Watch: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) (signal-watch.com)

I was surprised to see so many franchises back in the day take a completely different shift with their tone.

Instead of being terrified of what our favorite slashers or monsters were going to do next, we were met with funny shenanigans of our beloved cult classic villains.

Again, it’s not a bad thing, I just couldn’t believe how many franchises went down this new path!

  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • Evil Dead
  • Chucky
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • Jaws (I’m including Jaws, because the last two films were comedy gold when it came to the awful writing)

I believe that directors/writers chose this path, because they were in competition to stand out among their own horror franchises.

I can see why horror writers were afraid of sticking to their old horror roots. Writers were most likely worried that their horror story would lose its fans, due to all the horror/comedy that became the new trend.

They would rather fit in, than lose the fanbase they created with their iconic films!

 

Thank you for reading!

Emy Quinn


Comments