pinterest-site-verification=f146b84ea677a647403075b8d7061d53 Creep is an Excellent Character Study of a Serial Killer Through the Use of Found Footage Skip to main content

Featured

The Ghost Girl

  My grandma lost her right eye when she was nine years old. I asked my mother constantly when I was young, curious about what happened to her.  My mother told me each time that she didn’t know herself, and told me to never ask her, because it was probably traumatic for her. Then my grandma surprised me by telling me the story. It wasn’t what I was expecting.  I assumed she had lost her eye during a horrible accident, but I was met with a supernatural story instead. She told me everything, pointing at the black eyepatch now covering her right eye.  “I saw a little girl when I decided to go for a walk on an abandoned trail. You know the one called Ghost Trail, the one by the river?” I nodded.  “I saw her there when I decided to run away from home, again. She was giggling, walking ahead of me. I grew curious, and I caught up to her. Then I saw her face.” She grew quiet, before continuing on with the story.  “She had no eyes. The top of her face was a blank slate. It was just skin. Then b

Creep is an Excellent Character Study of a Serial Killer Through the Use of Found Footage

 

Warning: Will contain major spoilers for Creep

I decided to give Creep a watch, when I heard about the hype surrounding this film by horror fans. I was impressed with the film, the story only followed two characters, and it was done brilliantly.

Its short run time really added to the film, making it one of the most intense journeys I have ever experienced. I could not figure out the ending, due to how crazy the main villain in this film was. 

The story follows a guy named Aaron, who decides to conduct an interview with some normal dude named Josef who lives in the woods. 

He explains to Aaron that he has a brain tumor and wants to film a video diary for his pregnant wife and his future child as a way to remember him. Throughout the entirety of the film, we follow Aaron and Josef. 

Aaron is obviously uncomfortable with the behavior of Josef, due to how strange several of his actions are. It only gets worse from here with Aaron, when he realizes he could be in the presence of a potential monster. 

Josef’s character is terrifying, but so fascinating at the same time. 

The film mostly follows Josef, as Aaron films him throughout most of the movie. Josef slowly reveals to Aaron that he is harboring a dark secret and could possibly be a danger to Aaron. 

Josef comes off so charming in many parts of the film, but then shows a really dark side to Aaron in several scenes of the footage. In one of the scariest confessions by Josef, he tells him a dark story about his wife. 

I won’t give out any details at all during this sequence, it’s extremely graphic and so disturbing. Let’s just say that Aaron obviously freaks out and is no longer really comfortable around this guy anymore. 

The first time I watched that scene, I was so dumbfounded. I don’t remember the last time a found footage film left me that speechless. 

The confession is delivered so well and eerily calm by the actor who plays Josef, as if he was merely talking about how his day was. I’m surprised that Aaron didn’t bolt at that moment, but I assume the shock was too much.

If you’re curious what Josef says here, fair warning, if you are interested in watching the film, be prepared. It’s freaking crazy what he tells Aaron here!

The film ends with Josef being a possible serial killer.

As if Josef’s character couldn’t get any more interesting, it is revealed at the ending of the film that Josef is a serial killer. Aaron actually escapes from Josef, but gets stalked by him instead. 

Through Josef’s manipulation and charm, he convinces Aaron to come back to him and have a talk. Aaron feels sorry for Josef, and decides to meet up with him.

I couldn’t get over how dumb this decision was, but Aaron had a good heart…that got him killed. 

While Aaron is waiting for Joseph, he appears behind him with an axe and kills him with one blow. It’s so realistic watching this happen, and pretty disturbing at the same time. 

You’re probably wondering, how was this filmed?

Well, it turned out that Josef had a camera ready to film the entire murder. It cuts to Josef putting away the tape of Aaron’s death along with other tapes. Guess that confirms that this dude was a serial killer. 

What’s scarier, is that the film ends with no more clues as to who Josef really is. His name might even be fake, and I wouldn’t doubt that he pretended to be different people as he went after his other victims. 

Now that…is terrifying.


 

Thank you for reading!

Emy Quinn


Comments