pinterest-site-verification=f146b84ea677a647403075b8d7061d53 Crime of the Future is the First David Cronenberg Film to Make Me Feel Sick Skip to main content

Featured

I'm Really Excited for Joseph Quinn as Emperor Geta in Gladiator 2

  I know this really isn't horror related, but I have wanted to bring this topic up for a long time.  After watching Joseph Quinn perform in Stranger Things as Eddie, I instantly knew that this actor was going to become huge. So far, he has already made a name for himself in the horror genre, appearing in A Quiet Place: Day One, Stranger Things , and another film that will be directed by the author who wrote American Psycho! I'm so happy to see that Quinn is now going to play a villain in Gladiator 2. I have a gut feeling he is going to deliver one of the best villain performances so far this year. I can't wait to write about Emperor Geta later on, once we get more of a glimpse into his character. Something tells me that this crazy villain is going to be delightfully insane, almost as crazy as some of my favorite horror villains! A new trailer is going to be released on September 23rd, I can't wait to see more of his character! In my opinion, I thought the music choice

Crime of the Future is the First David Cronenberg Film to Make Me Feel Sick

 

I love David Cronenberg’s work, and his crazy ideas through body horror. Even though I have struggled to watch some body horror sequences in his films, I love watching the practical effects come to life on the screen. 

However…for the first time, I struggled to watch his recent film, Crimes of the Future.

I had seen this film a year ago back in college, and I had to leave my dorm to take a walk. I literally had to get this film out of my system. I don’t know how the body horror disturbed me to the level that it did. 

Maybe I shouldn’t have watched a gory film that day, who knows? Even I have limits when it comes to horror!

Despite my struggle to get through the film, I still enjoyed the concept behind the body horror!

Crimes of the Future is based on a dystopian world where the human body no longer feels any pain. 

I think this is by far one of David Cronenberg’s craziest stories. The whole world is literally plagued by a terrible reality where humans don’t feel pain. In this world, pain is considered pleasure.

I don’t want to elaborate any further on this, because it’s so disturbing and weird. 

The pain is also used as a way for artists to use their bodies as their own paint canvas. This sounds pretty extreme, and in a funny way, I thought this was a perfect add on for the film. 

It makes sense in a strange way, and I can see how people would take advantage of their lack of pain in a world that is pretty much searching for any way to stand out as an artist. 

The main character that the film focuses on is a man named Saul Tenser, who is known for cutting open his body to use as a sort of grotesque sculpture for his audience to watch. With the help of his love interest and partner, Caprice, she helps bring his disturbing work to life. 

Even their own little minions that help look after the duo are pretty crazy themselves, they are willing to do anything for the people they work for!

And of course…we are given a lot of scary moments with the body horror. 

The body horror in this film is imaginative, intriguing, and disgusting.

While I did confirm that the body horror was difficult for me to handle in this film, I have to admit it’s definitely one of Cronenberg’s best ideas he has ever created for Crimes of the Future. 

It’s kind of beautiful to watch some of these moments, like the devices that Saul is placed on to help preserve his human body with the help of Caprice. 

I have no idea what the hell these devices are, but in the world of Cronenberg, you just gotta go with the flow!

There is even another really awesome sequence where some random dancer, and probably my favorite part of the film, dances with a lot of human ears attached to his body. It’s so weird, but so cool to watch!

Then we got the parts that I struggled to get through. Like one romantic scene between Caprice and Saul with the use of body horror. 

To this day, I regret watching that scene. 

I’m not exactly sure if I will ever watch this movie again because of how sick I felt, but I did admire the great idea behind this film. 

At least I can say that David Cronenberg never fails to disappoint me!



Thank you for reading!

Emy Quinn 


Comments