Featured

How Did Halloween Come to Exist?

 

Halloween has received a huge fanbase over the years. Halloween has become a valued tradition, that involves trick or treating, dressing up in costumes, watching horror movies, or carving faces on pumpkins!

How exactly did Halloween come to exist?

It’s quite the long story, and I was so interested in learning about Halloween’s origins during my research! You’re going to be quite surprised as to how Halloween came to be…it all started back in the day. 

Back in the ancient times…I don’t even know the year!

Halloween has ancient history into how the ‘holiday’ became a real thing!

Halloween came to exist around the time that involved an ancient festival known as Samhain, that was held by the Celts. They were located in what is now known as Ireland today, around the United Kingdom and France. 

They celebrated Samhain on November 1st, that was the deemed the start of the new year. 

This specific day was important to the Celts, because it marked the end of summer and the harvest, leading to the season of winter, that was associated with the theme of death. 

The Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the worlds of the living and the dead became one. They believed that the dead would return to the Earth, on what is now known as Halloween, October 31st. 

Isn’t that so interesting?

I’ve actually heard something similar to this from people in the past, and they truly believed that the dead would walk the Earth only on the night of Halloween. 

I gotta admit, this is kind of creepy. 

But also…kind of sweet?

Kind about it, whenever we go trick or treating, the dead could be walking with us. Spirits could be joining the living during this spooky day, being able to interact with other people who celebrate this special day. 

Now whenever I dress up in costume, I will now wonder if there are spirits around me. 

That’s…honestly kind of cool.

Hopefully I won’t end up hearing voices or whispers around me on Halloween, because I don’t think I would ever want to step outside again on this wonderful day lol :D



Thank you for reading!

Emy Quinn



Comments