pinterest-site-verification=f146b84ea677a647403075b8d7061d53 Terrifier Brought Back the Old School 80s Slasher Horror Trope Through a Terrifying Killer Clown Skip to main content

Featured

The Ghost Girl

  My grandma lost her right eye when she was nine years old. I asked my mother constantly when I was young, curious about what happened to her.  My mother told me each time that she didn’t know herself, and told me to never ask her, because it was probably traumatic for her. Then my grandma surprised me by telling me the story. It wasn’t what I was expecting.  I assumed she had lost her eye during a horrible accident, but I was met with a supernatural story instead. She told me everything, pointing at the black eyepatch now covering her right eye.  “I saw a little girl when I decided to go for a walk on an abandoned trail. You know the one called Ghost Trail, the one by the river?” I nodded.  “I saw her there when I decided to run away from home, again. She was giggling, walking ahead of me. I grew curious, and I caught up to her. Then I saw her face.” She grew quiet, before continuing on with the story.  “She had no eyes. The top of her face was a blank slate. It was just skin. Then b

Terrifier Brought Back the Old School 80s Slasher Horror Trope Through a Terrifying Killer Clown

 

Warning: Will contain major spoilers for Terrifier

Terrifier is the first horror film in a long time that felt like I was watching an old school 80s slasher film. 

The picture of the film itself felt old, and even the questionable acting from the main cast added to the dreary atmosphere of the film. The kills are done with amazing practical effects, making each death feel real. 

The main star of the film has to go to Art the Clown, the first slasher clown that takes a creepy delight into killing anyone that gets in his way. 

He’s also one of the scariest ones, because he never speaks, but his silence really adds to the character, and the actor who plays Art is brilliant at conveying what the clown is feeling. 

David Howard Thorton plays the clown to perfection, he apparently had mime experience in the past, so it makes sense why he is so good at playing a slasher that instantly received cult status and love from many horror fans.

I don’t remember the last time a slasher character received a huge fanbase, and Art became so big, that it led to an actual franchise with bigger and better set designs, practical effects, and great storytelling!

The story centers around a group of people that are in the wrong place at the wrong time when they run into Art the Clown.


It’s obvious that the first film barely had a budget due to the picture and the acting, but the director and his crew still made this film work. 

We are introduced to two women who become the targets of Art the Clown on Halloween night named Dawn and Tara. They both stop to eat pizza in a restaurant, and the creepy clown follows them inside. 

He proceeds to stare at them and tease them, knowing that Tara is uncomfortable around him. I’m not sure if he would have attempted to kill both girls, if it hadn’t been for Dawn’s stupidity. 

She sits on his lap and takes a selfie with him, his smile fading. 

Like seriously, what the hell was she thinking? 

Unfortunately, more potential victims are pulled into the situation when Tara contacts her sister to come pick her up when they notice Dawn’s tires had been slashed, hinted that it was done by Art after Dawn pissed him off. 

What happens next is a brutal carnage, leading to multiple deaths. 

I’m not going to bother talking about anything graphic, because every single death is freaking crazy. Art the Clown never holds back.

Everyone gets killed in the worst ways, and only one girl lives.


To make a long story short, Tara and Dawn are never rescued by Victoria, Tara’s sister. 

The two girls are killed, including two guys who happened to be working that night, the people who worked in the pizza diner, and a random homeless woman. Art makes each of them suffer, and it is brutal

Dawn has the worst death in this movie, but it’s obvious why. She pissed him off.

Like damn, Art does not show mercy.

The film ends with Victoria as the survivor, and when she is so close to escape, she gets her face eaten off by Art. 

Yeah. I’m not playing when I say that. 

She becomes deformed, and she ends up becoming mad, attacking a woman who interviewed her after her survival. This sequence takes place in the beginning of the movie, and I sort of felt for Victoria here. 

She lost her sister, she lost her face, and she had to face an evil clown that took delight in torturing everyone. It makes sense why she went mad. 

After this film, you won’t exactly feel bad for her anymore. She kind of…falls in love with Art later. I don’t even know how…but she does. 

I’ll talk about this later in Terrifier 2

For those who want to watch Terrifier, fair warning, the kills are really bad, this film is not for the faint hearted!

 


Thank you for reading!

Emy Quinn

 

 

Comments